Institute for the Serbian Language of SASA
Institute for the Serbian Language of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts (SASA) is a central scholarly institution dedicated to the systematic study of the Serbian language and its history, as well as to compiling major lexicographic and linguo-geographic works – dictionaries and atlases.
It was established in 1947 under the auspices of the Serbian Academy of Sciences (later Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts), upon the foundations of the Lexicographic Department, formed in 1893 by the Serbian Royal Academy on the initiative of Academician Stojan Novaković. The first director of the Institute was Academician Aleksandar Belić, the most important Serbian Slavicist and one of the world’s leading Slavic studies scholars of the first half of the 20th century. The scholarly profiles of the future academicians Irena Grickat, Milka Ivić, Pavle Ivić and Mitar Pešikan were shaped at the Institute.
The Institute’s current research activities include five projects and one sub-project focused on the comprehensive study into the Serbian language and its past and present.
International cooperation takes place through the participation of Institute’s researchers in capital international projects (General Slavic Linguistic Atlas, General Carpathian Dialectological Atlas, Atlas Linguarum Europae, Linguistic Bibliography), bilateral projects, study visits and exchange with a number of similar institutions, as well as through the organization of international conferences.
Srpski dijalektološki zbornik (since 1905)
Južnoslovenski filolog (since 1913)
Naš jezik (since 1932)
Lingvističke aktuelnosti (since 2000)
Biblioteka Južnoslovenskog filologa (since 1970)
Monografije / Monographs (since 2004)
Zbornik Instituta za srpski jezik SANU (since 2006)
The books published by the Institute include various monographic studies and edited volumes.
The research staff involved in the implementation of research projects includes 64 associates, 41 of whom have a PhD degree.